
Ululani Bali: Indonesia's Paradise Found (Secret Beach Revealed!)
Ululani Bali: Indonesia's Paradise Found (Secret Beach Revealed!) - A Messy, Honest, and (Hopefully) Helpful Review
Alright, alright, buckle up buttercups. I just got back from Ululani Bali, and let me tell you, deciphering the actual experience from the brochures is a Herculean task. So, here's the lowdown, warts and all, because you deserve the truth, not a polished travel ad.
First Impressions: That Secret Beach… (and the Long Walk!)
Okay, the promise of a "Secret Beach" is huge. And yes, it's pretty damn amazing. Picture it: turquoise water, soft sand, barely another soul. The pictures? Yeah, they don't lie. But (and there's always a but!), the access? Let's just say it involves a bit of an adventure. Accessibility for someone with mobility issues could be…tricky. This isn’t a paved beach, it’s down a pathway and steps. Consider this your warning. This is not a cruise ship experience. In fact, its the total opposite.
Accessibility - The "Almost" Zone:
- Wheelchair Accessible? Nope. Not really. Sorry.
- Facilities for Disabled Guests: Limited. The hotel says they try, but realistically, this isn't their strong suit.
- Exterior Corridor: Surprisingly, yes. Makes for a breezy walk to your room, but a bit of a pain when you're caught in the Balinese rain.
- Elevator: YES! A small victory!
The Good Stuff: Pampering & Pools (and the Occasional Hairy Moment)
Okay, let's talk about the things that actually were amazing.
The Pool with a View: Stunning. Truly. I spent a full afternoon just staring at the ocean, barely able to tear myself away to order another cocktail from the Poolside Bar. Bliss. Absolute bliss.
Spa/Sauna: I hit the Spa. Omg. The Body Scrub was the best I've ever had. Seriously, I felt like I'd shed a layer of all the stress I'd accumulated over the last year. And the Massage? Pure, unadulterated heaven. (Side note: if you're shy, don't forget to mention that to the staff, I had an ahem situation that's best left unspoken.)
Fitness Center: I peeked in. It looked clean and well-equipped, and the Gym/Fitness center seems to have a lot of the equipment I wanted.
Steamroom: If I'm honest I didn't pay for the steamroom, I had a good time, but I'm the sort of person who does not use the steamroom if I'm on vacation.
Eating, Drinking, and Snacking - Fueling the Paradise Pursuit
The food was…a mixed bag.
- Restaurants: There are several. The Asian cuisine in restaurant was decent, the International cuisine in restaurant was better. The service, however, could be slower than a sloth on Ambien.
- Breakfast [Buffet]: The Buffet in restaurant was a decent spread. Yes, there was your classic Western breakfast, but for me, the Asian breakfast was where it's at. Get the nasi goreng. Trust me.
- Coffee/Tea in restaurant & Coffee Shop: Really good.
- Snack Bar: Perfect for those mid-afternoon cravings.
- Room Service [24-hour]: A lifesaver after a long day of beaching and…well, everything else.
- The Bar: Good selection of drinks, lovely views.
- Desserts in restaurant: Not the most impressive but enough to fuel the need for sugar.
Rooms & Creature Comforts - Keeping It Real
The rooms are…nice. Not palatial, but definitely comfortable.
- Air conditioning: Thank God. Seriously, Bali is hot.
- Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! And it actually works! A huge plus.
- Additional toilet: A welcome touch, especially if you're sharing with a…ahem…"enthusiastic" traveler.
- Bathtub: Great for soaking after a long day.
- Balcony/Terrace: Essential for enjoying the sunset.
- In-room safe box: Use it. Always.
- Mini bar: Convenient, but a little pricey.
Cleanliness and Safety - The Worry-Wart's Review
- Cleanliness: Pretty good. The staff seemed to take hygiene seriously.
- Anti-viral cleaning products: Good to know (even if I didn't see them, I assume they were there).
- Daily disinfection in common areas: Reassuring.
- Hand sanitizer: Everywhere.
- Staff trained in safety protocol: Seemed like it.
- Rooms sanitized between stays: Hopefully.
Stuff That's Available (or Potentially Available):
- Air conditioning in public area
- Airport transfer
- Alarm clock
- A la carte in restaurant
- Alternative meal arrangement
- Audio-visual equipment for special events
- Babysitting service
- Backpack storage
- Bathrobes
- Bathroom phone
- Bottle of water
- Breakfast in room
- Breakfast takeaway service
- Business facilities
- Car park [free of charge]
- Car park [on-site]
- Cash withdrawal
- Cashless payment service
- Check-in/out [express]
- Check-in/out [private]
- Closet
- Coffee/tea maker
- Complimentary tea
- Concierge
- Contactless check-in/out
- Convenience store
- Couple's room
- Currency exchange
- Daily housekeeping
- Desk
- Doorman
- Dry cleaning
- Elevator
- Essential condiments
- Extra long bed
- Facilities for disabled guests
- Family/child friendly
- Fire extinguisher
- First aid kit
- Food delivery
- Food delivery
- Front desk [24-hour]
- Garbage bin
- Gift/souvenir shop
- Hair dryer
- Hand sanitizer
- Happy hour
- High floor
- Hot water linen and laundry washing
- Hygiene certification
- Indoor venue for special events
- Individually-wrapped food options
- Internet access – LAN
- Internet access – wireless
- Invoice provided
- Ironing facilities
- Ironing service
- Kids facilities
- Kids meal
- Laptop workspace
- Laundry service
- Linens
- Luggage storage
- Massage
- Meeting/banquet facilities
- Meetings
- Meeting stationery
- Mini bar
- Mirror
- Non-smoking
- Non-smoking rooms
- On-demand movies
- On-site event hosting
- Outdoor venue for special events
- Physical distancing of at least 1 meter
- Poolside bar
- Professional-grade sanitizing services
- Projector/LED display
- Proposal spot
- Reading light
- Refrigerator
- Room decorations
- Room sanitization opt-out available
- Rooms sanitized between stays
- Safe dining setup
- Safety/security feature
- Safety/security feature
- Safety deposit boxes
- Salad in restaurant
- Satellite/cable channels
- Scale
- Seating area
- Security [24-hour]
- Seminars
- Separate shower/bathtub
- Shared stationery removed
- Shower
- Shrine
- Slippers
- Smoke alarms
- Smoke detector
- Smoking area
- Snack bar
- Socket near the bed
- Sofa
- Soundproofing
- Soup in restaurant
- Span/sauna
- Steamroom
- **Sterilizing

Alright, buckle up, buttercups, because we're heading to Bali. Not just Bali, but Ululani Bali. And frankly, I'm already dreaming of turquoise water and questionable street food. This is not going to be a perfectly curated Instagram feed. This is going to be… well, me. This is my Bali itinerary:
Day 1: Arrival & Jet Lagged Bliss (or, the Day I Almost Died of a Banana Smoothie)
- 8:00 AM (ish): Arrive at Denpasar Airport (DPS). Ugh. The humidity hits you like a wet, warm slap in the face. And the line for immigration? Don't even get me started. I swear, it took longer than my actual flight.
- 8:15 AM (ish, give or take 2 hours): Finally got out of the airport, and stumbled upon a taxi driver playing the "charming-but-gonna-rip-you-off" game. Negotiating the price was an absolute war of wills. I think I won, but I'll probably find out tomorrow I'm being charged triple.
- 11:00 AM (ish): Arrived at my accommodation in Ululani. It's more beautiful than I expected - lush, green, and even the sounds of the birds and the breeze are relaxing- but the first thing I did was flop down on that bed and fall fast asleep, fully clothed, despite promising myself I'd unpack. Jet lag is a beast.
- 3:00 PM (ish): Woke up, feeling like I'd been run over by a truck. Decided I needed to acclimatize and get some fresh energy, so decided on a super healthy thing: a banana smoothie from a local warung (small, family-run restaurant). Oh dear God.
- Anecdote: This smoothie. It was so thick, so sweet, and the ice… well, I'm pretty sure it wasn't filtered. I took one sip and felt an immediate, overwhelming urge to run to the nearest bathroom. Let’s just say, for about an hour I was convinced I was going to spend my entire Bali trip hugging a porcelain throne. Lesson learned: stick to bottled water (and maybe skip the questionable ice).
- 4:30 PM: Feeling marginally less likely to spontaneously combust. Found a little beach, watched the sunset and just stared at the ocean. The colour is absolutely unreal.
- 7:00 PM: Dinner at a warung recommended by a local. Tried my first Nasi Goreng (fried rice). It was… okay. Maybe my taste buds are still recovering from the smoothie incident.
- 8:30 PM: Collapsed back into bed. Exhausted, but happy. Bali is already proving to be… an adventure.
Day 2: Surfing, Swells, and Existential Crises (or, The Day I Made a Fool of Myself in the Ocean)
- 7:00 AM: Wake up. Sun's already blazing. This time, I'm prepared. Coffee and a proper breakfast (no questionable smoothies allowed!). Headed out, all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, to the beach to try surfing.
- 8:00 AM: Attempt to surf. This is where the "existential crisis" part comes in. I'm not a natural. I fell. A lot. I swallowed so much seawater I think I'm now part fish. The instructor was trying so hard to be patient, but I could see the amusement in his eyes. I think I got up once. For about two seconds.
- Quirky Observation: Surfing is way harder than it looks. Those people who make it look graceful? They're either superhuman, or they've been at it for years. I am neither.
- 10:00 AM: Decided to retreat to dry land before I drowned or became more of a spectacle.
- 11:00 AM: A massage. Oh sweet, sweet Bali massage. All the aches from my "surfing" were magically gone. Bliss.
- 1:00 PM: Lunch. Sat at a beachside restaurant, watching the waves and the surfers, and I ate some fresh fish. The food was delicious, and the view was stunning. It was the perfect antidote to my surfing humiliation.
- 3:00 PM: Explored the little beach town. It's just a few streets. The people are so kind, and so many colours! A few shops, markets, and just a really lovely vibe.
- 6:00 PM: Sunset watching. Watching the sunset from the beach, with the surfers catching their last waves, the sky turning fiery colours. My favourite part of the day.
- 7:30 PM: Dinner at a different warung. This time I tried the Gado-Gado (mixed vegetables with peanut sauce). Delicious! I'm starting to get the hang of this eating thing.
- 9:00 PM: Stumbled back to the hotel, exhausted and sun-kissed (and slightly salty). Dreaming of a day of doing absolutely nothing except maybe reading a book on a beach.
Day 3: Temple Time & Rice Terraces (and the Monkeys of Doom)
- 8:00 AM: Up early (ish), had a good breakfast, and hired a driver and a scooter. Ready to explore!
- 9:30 AM: Visited the Ulun Danu Beratan Temple, a beautiful temple on the lake. It's as stunning as the pictures.
- Anecdote: There was some kind of beautiful, traditional Balinese ceremony going on. The air buzzed with music and prayers. A moment that struck me as incredibly peaceful and spiritual - even though I accidentally tripped over a small offering and almost face-planted into a bowl of flowers.
- Emotional Reaction: I felt a strong sense of peace and reverence in the temple. It was a space where I could truly feel myself.
- 11:30 AM: Headed to the Jatiluwih Rice Terraces.
- Quirky Observation: The rice terraces are absolutely breathtaking, the colours are so vibrant. It feels like you are in a painting.
- 1:30 PM: Lunch overlooking the rice terraces. Simple, delicious.
- 3:00 PM: The Sacred Monkey Forest Sanctuary.
- Rambling: Okay, so the monkeys. Adorable, right? Wrong. They're clever, and they want your stuff. They can literally smell the banana in your bag. I now have a deep respect for monkeys and their strategic thievery – I watched as a few snatched a water bottle straight out of a backpack! Beware!
- Anecdote: I had a banana. Obviously, the monkeys noticed. One tried to climb up my leg (I FREAKED OUT), and another one stole my sunglasses. Lost. Gone. Goodbye.
- 5:00 PM: Back to my accommodation, utterly amazed by the sheer variety and beauty I'd seen in one day.
- 7:00 PM: Dinner at a warung (again!). Still trying to get my bearings on the local cuisine. Learning to love it!
- 8:30 PM: Fall back into my bed, exhausted but exhilarated.
Day 4: Beach Day & Last Moments (or, The Day I Didn't Fall In Love With Bali, But Got Pretty Close)
- 9:00 AM: Slept in! A much-needed lie-in.
- 10:00 AM: Heading back to the beach, determined to master the art of doing nothing today.
- 11:00 AM: Spent the morning reading, swimming, and soaking up the sun.
- 1:00 PM: Lunch. Fresh seafood, again.
- 3:00 PM: Another massage. Because, well, Bali.
- 5:00 PM: Preparing for departure. Saying goodbye to the sun, the beaches, the people I met, and the food.
- 8:00 PM: Dinner close by the airport.
- 10:00 PM: Headed to the airport.
- 1:00 AM: Departure Flight.
Final Thoughts:
Bali is… overwhelming. In the best way. I'm not sure "love" is the right word, but I feel a very strong affection for this place. It's chaos and beauty, adventure and relaxation, all rolled into one stunning, often frustrating, package. The food is amazing (when you don't get food poisoning!). The people are incredibly friendly. And the landscape? Just… wow.
I’m leaving Bali feeling tired, sun-kissed, a little poorer (thanks to the monkeys, and the questionable taxi rides, and the gelato I couldn’t resist), and absolutely full. Full of memories, tastes, and a whole lot of sand. I fully intend to return, next time with better sunscreen, a camera to document it all more often, and less fear of the banana smoothie.
Escape to Paradise: Unforgettable Milo Milo Suites Experience, Milos Island
Ululani Bali: Indonesia's Paradise Found (Secret Beach Revealed!) - Seriously, Is It *That* Good? (FAQs ...and Rants)
Okay, okay, everyone's raving about Ululani. Is it REALLY paradise? Like, picture-perfect, no-Photoshop-needed paradise? Spill the tea.
Alright, buckle up, because I'm about to get brutally honest. Paradise? Yes. But not the cheesy, airbrushed kind. Ululani is *raw*. It's got the stunning, turquoise water, the blinding white sand that actually feels *good* on your feet (none of that scorching stuff), and the lush, green cliffs that hug the beach. It's the kind of place where you take a deep breath and your shoulders instantly drop a foot. But... it's not perfect.
My first impression? Pure, unadulterated "OH MY GOD" followed by a frantic scramble for my phone to take a million photos. Truthfully? I’d seen photos, of course. Instagram, the travel blogs… all the usual suspects. But they just don’t convey the *feeling*. You know? That salty air hitting your face, the sun warming your skin, and the absolute *silence* (except for the waves, which is the best soundtrack ever).
But then there's the walk to get there… which we'll get into. And let's just say, paradise comes with a price, which is the effort it takes to *find* this slice of heaven. But, trust me, the hike is worth it a thousand times over.
So, how do you *get* to this "secret beach"? Is it actually a secret? Or just… well, not *that* easy?
"Secret" is a strong word. More like "off the beaten path" and "requires a *little* effort." The directions online are okay, but they miss the *real* secret: bring good shoes. And water… LOTS of water.
You basically park, and then you WALK. Down a steep, often dusty, trail. It's not a death march, but it's definitely a workout. Our first time? We showed up in flip-flops. Rookie mistake. By the time we hit the beach, we were covered in dust and my friend, bless her heart, nearly tripped and did a full-on faceplant. We laughed hysterically, then immediately regretted our footwear choices! Lesson learned. Decent shoes are a must. Hiking boots? Maybe overkill. But definitely not flip-flops unless you're a glutton for punishment.
Also, keep an eye out for the small, easily missed signs. I remember the first time, we were convinced we were lost. We asked a local, and he just laughed and pointed us in the right direction with a knowing smirk. We'd wasted at least 20 minutes!
What's the beach *really* like? Is it crowded? Is there anything to *do* there?
The beach itself? Sublime. Like, *seriously* sublime. The sand is soft, the water is crystal clear, and the colors are just… unreal. We're talking blues and greens that seem to shift in the sunlight. It’s not typically overflowing with tourists, which is a huge win. You can usually find a spot to stretch out and actually relax, unlike some of those super-famous beaches in Bali.
Okay, so there’s not a ton of "activities" in the traditional sense. No jet skis, no banana boats. And thank God for that! It’s all about swimming, sunbathing, and generally soaking up the peace. You can snorkel – the coral reefs are beautiful (though I'm a terrible snorkeler, so I tend to stick to the shallows where I can just *look* at the water!). If you're lucky, you'll spot some sea turtles. Don't forget to bring your own food and drinks though. There's a small warung (local café) that serve snacks and drinks.
I have to tell you about a particular time... We were there during a particularly beautiful sunset. The sky ablaze with pinks and oranges, the waves gently lapping at the shore. And this dog – I swear he was a local – just came up and sat next to us. We didn't even have food, but he just *vibed* with us. Honestly, it was one of the most magical moments of my entire trip. Pure, unadulterated joy.
Is it safe? Any concerns about currents, wildlife, anything like that?
Generally, it's safe. The water is usually fairly calm, but it's always wise to be aware of the conditions. Check for warnings before jumping in, and trust your gut. If the waves are looking particularly gnarly, maybe stick to the shallows or just skip the swim altogether. Safety first, people!
Wildlife? Well, you'll see some fish while snorkeling (or peering into the water like me). Other than that, it's mostly just beautiful scenery. Always a good idea to be aware of your surroundings. Especially if you’re hiking. The area is quite undisturbed.
The biggest risk? Sticking around too long and missing the sunset. Or, you know, running out of sunscreen. Always a disaster.
Okay, let's talk food. What's the food situation like? Anything worth knowing?
Food? Well, you're not exactly going to find a Michelin-starred restaurant on Ululani Beach. However, there *is* a small warung. It's charming, and the people are lovely. Do *not* pass up the fresh coconut water. Seriously, it's pure bliss after the hike down.
The food? Basic, delicious Indonesian fare. Nothing fancy, but satisfying. However, pack some snacks. Because after a few hours of swimming and sunbathing, that hunger hits hard.
My best advice? Bring your own snacks. That way, you can eat on your own time. And also ensure you have enough water.
What’s the best time to visit Ululani? Any tips for maximizing the experience?
The best time? Honestly, anytime. Bali has a pretty consistent climate. The dry season (April to October) is generally considered the best, but honestly, any time you go, you’re likely to have a fantastic experience.
For maximizing the experience… go early. This is key. Get there before the crowds (or at least before the *biggest* crowds). The sunrise is spectacular. And you'll get the beach practically to yourselves. Plus, you avoid the hottest part of the day. I'm a big fan of going early.
Also, stay for the sunset. Seriously. It's a must-do. Watch the colors change across the sky and the water. Pack a small flashlight or use your phone light for the hike back up, especially if you're staying until dusk.

