
Escape to Matheran's Jewel: Gujarat Bhavan Hotel Awaits!
Okay, buckle up, because we're about to dive headfirst into the winding roads and red earth of Matheran and see if Gujarat Bhavan Hotel truly lives up to the hype. Forget perfect prose, let's get real. This is for the folks, like me, who want the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, even if it's a little…scatterbrained.
Escape to Matheran's Jewel: Gujarat Bhavan Hotel Awaits! - A Review (with a Few Detours)
First off, Accessibility. Okay, confession time: I didn't specifically check for wheelchair accessibility. My bad. I'm kicking myself now that I'm writing this, knowing how important that is. The website is vague. I'd advise calling the hotel directly and grilling them about this. Don't take my word for it! Make sure they understand your needs.
The Good Stuff (and a Few Grumbles):
Let's start with the feeling of the place. The location? Oh man, Matheran is pure magic. No cars allowed (yes!), just the crunch of the red soil under your feet, the fresh air, and the silence. Pure bliss if you're coming from a city that never sleeps (or shuts up)! Getting to the hotel… well, the whole Matheran experience is a bit of an adventure in itself, a train ride through steep terrain, so factor that in.
Things to Do & Ways to (Attempt to) Relax:
Okay, Gujarat Bhavan boasts a pool with a view. That’s an eye-catcher. I can tell you that I can’t live without a good view and some time spent in the pool. They've also got a fitness center, a sauna, and a spa. Look, I'm not a spa person. I'm more of a "sit on the porch with a chai and judge everyone" kind of relaxer. But if you’re into Body scrubs, Body wraps, and all that, it's there. They also offer massage. Note to self: next trip, I gotta try the massage.
Cleanliness & Safety (Let's Be Honest):
This is where things get interesting. The website touts all the COVID-era precautions: Anti-viral cleaning products, daily disinfection in common areas, hand sanitizer everywhere, and staff trained in safety protocol. I'll be honest, I saw more hand sanitizer than questionable germs overall. However, the rooms were pretty good. Clean enough, not spotless, but, you know, hotel-clean. The rooms are sanitized between stays (that's good, right?).
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: A Culinary Adventure?
Restaurants: Ah, here's the Gujarat Bhavan really shines. The restaurant had a nice atmosphere, and an Asian breakfast (I was pleasantly surprised) and a Western breakfast were on offer. The highlight? The Vegetarian restaurant! Being a Gujarati place, the food was excellent, and felt authentically home-cooked. The a la carte menu was also solid, with some well-prepared dishes. You could get a Bottle of water (essential!), and there's a Coffee shop. They have a poolside bar.
Services and Conveniences (The Mundane Realities):
This is where the hotel functions like…a hotel. Air conditioning in public areas, an elevator, currency exchange, daily housekeeping, dry cleaning, and a convenience store (for your forgotten toothpaste). They have facilities for disabled guests. There's a gift shop (always good for picking up a souvenir, even if it’s hideous), and, bless their hearts, they have a doorman.
For the Kids (Bless Their Hearts!): They are Family/child friendly and do offer Babysitting service.
Getting Around (Navigating Matheran, the Car-Free Paradise):
Look, you're in Matheran. Walking is your main mode of transport. However, the hotel does offer Airport transfer, which is helpful. They have a Car park, or, at least, space to park your car at the base of the mountain trail! There's also Bicycle parking.
Inside the Rooms (The Nitty-Gritty):
Here’s where I'm a little…meh. They have all the basics. The Air conditioning in all rooms, a coffee/tea maker, an in-room safe box, Wi-Fi [free] (which, for some reason, wasn't always all that reliable, but it was there!), and complimentary tea. The bed was comfy…I am a sucker for good sheets. They have a desk (if you're forced to work, even in paradise). They also have Hair dryer (for the ladies).
The "OMG, Did That REALLY Happen?" Moment (And a Few That Didn't)
Okay, I'll let you in on a little secret: I might have gotten a little lost on a hiking trail and ended up covered in mud. But the hotel did have some amazing hot water. The hot water and clean towels saved me.
The Hook (Let's Get You BOOKING!):
So, is Gujarat Bhavan Hotel perfect? Nah. Nothing is. But it's a solid choice, that definitely deserves a good rating.
The Offer (Because You Deserve It!)
"Escape to Matheran's Magic: Book Your Gujarat Bhavan Getaway! Discover the beauty of Matheran, relax, and enjoy our Vegetarian Restaurant"
To start booking your hotel get away, click the link here.
Croatia's Hidden Romantic Paradise: Rtina's Family-Friendly Escape
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because this isn’t your average itinerary. This is…well, it’s my attempt to navigate the slightly chaotic, hopefully charming, and decidedly real world of Gujarat Bhavan Hotel, Matheran. Prepare for some beautiful scenery, some sweaty trails, and maybe, just maybe, a near-miss with a rogue monkey. Let's do this!
Day 1: Arrival & A Floundering in the Foothills (aka, “Where Did My Luggage Go?!”)
Morning (or, More Accurately, Early Afternoon): Land in Mumbai. Okay, let's be honest, the Mumbai airport is… a whirlwind. Finding a taxi was like trying to win the lottery, only with more honking involved. Finally, after much haggling and a near-meltdown involving a particularly aggressive rickshaw driver, we were on our way. The drive to Matheran? Scenic, sure. Anxiety-inducing, yes. The roads are… well, let's just say they have character.
- Emotional Reaction: Exhaustion. Pure, unadulterated exhaustion. And a growing sense of dread that my luggage had, once again, decided to take a solo vacation.
Afternoon: Arrive in Neral. That's where the fun really begins! The tiny, toy-like train to Matheran. It's cute. It's slow. And it feels like you're living in a Wes Anderson film. The journey is about 1 hour.
- Quirky Observation: Did you know the train carriages have names, like Dorothy's carriage or the "The Bombay Queen"? I love that, it's like a little secret world!
- Imperfection: The train was delayed. Naturally. And by a significant amount. I'm starting to think that time doesn't exist in this part of the world.
Late Afternoon: Finally, finally, Matheran! The air is noticeably cooler, and the sheer absence of cars is a relief. The Gujarati Bhavan Hotel is a bit of a climb from the train station, so prepare to sweat! Also, prepare to be accosted by porters offering to carry your luggage, which brings us to… Oh dear god, my luggage. Still missing. Cue frantic phone calls and a good deal of swearing under my breath.
- Anecdote: The porter gave me a knowing smile and told me, "Welcome to Matheran. Things work differently here." I'm pretty sure that translates to "Good luck, you poor fool."
Evening: After a sweaty climb and a small bout of inner panic regarding my luggage, and with a sudden downpour, (the weather decided to embrace its unpredictable nature), I finally found my hotel. A bit of a rustic abode, Gujarat Bhavan Hotel to be exact. The room is simple, but clean. The view, however, is breathtaking. Dinner at the hotel restaurant. The food is delicious, but the service is… leisurely. I ordered something spicy and it definitely hit the spot. Trying to unwind and hoping my luggage shows up at the hotel by the next morning.
Day 2: Monkey Mayhem & Viewpoint Adventures (and a touch more chaos)
- Morning: Breakfast at the hotel. The chai is strong, the poha is delicious, and I get a good view of the monkeys doing their morning acrobatics.
- Emotional Reaction: I am actually starting to relax. The air is fresh, the sounds are natural. What I needed!
- Late Morning: The "Viewpoint Trek." This is where things get interesting. Matheran is famous for its viewpoints, each offering stunning panoramic vistas. We decide to walk the trails. They are picturesque but also a little…intense.
- Anecdote: We were happily meandering along a path when a troop of monkeys, led by what I can only describe as a particularly grumpy alpha male, decided to stage a raid. They came, they saw, they stole my water bottle. Justice was served though -- the alpha male got a face full of the empty water bottle in his face!
- Afternoon: We continue on, exploring. The views are spectacular, but my legs are screaming. I also noticed that all the viewpoints have fun names.
- Quirky Observation: Apparently, "Panorama Point" is the most aptly named viewpoint ever.
- Late Afternoon: Lunch at a local eatery. The food is excellent but the waiting period for the dishes to arrive again is long! The atmosphere, though, makes up for it. It's all so beautiful and relaxing. The sunset is pure magic.
- Emotional Reaction: Pure, unadulterated joy.
- Evening: Dinner at the hotel. My luggage! Finally. It has arrived. It's a small miracle! I take a long, hot shower and feel like a new person.
Day 3: More Viewpoints & Farewell, Matheran!
- Morning: Breakfast. More poha, more chai, more monkey watching.
- Anecdote: The monkeys are now used to me and try to snatch my breakfast!
- Late Morning: We decide to visit a few of the viewpoints we missed. It’s just as beautiful as the previous day but I am now quite tired.
- Rambles: I was wondering if I should hike more and explore more. I mean, Matheran has a charm!
- Afternoon: Lunch and check out of the hotel. The taxi back to the airport.
- Evening: Arrive at the airport. Bye bye Matheran!
Final Thoughts:
Matheran is… well, it’s a little rough around the edges. It's not perfect. There are delays, there are monkeys, there's the ever-present potential for your luggage to go rogue. But it's also stunningly beautiful, charmingly chaotic, and unforgettable. It's a place where you can disconnect from the world and reconnect with yourself.
Would I go back? Absolutely. Just maybe I'd pack a spare water bottle… and a stronger will to fight off the monkey bandits. And I'd be sure to pack my patience (and a very, very good book).
Escape to Paradise: Your Dream Villa in Italy Awaits!
So, what *is* this "Gujarat Bhavan Hotel" in Matheran thing, anyway? Don't make me Google!
Alright, alright, settle down, internet warrior. Think of it as a little slice of Gujarati charm nestled in the hills of Matheran. It's a hotel, a… well, a respectable place to stay, shall we say? Owned and run by the Gujarat Tourism folks, I *think*. Don't quote me on that, I'm mostly going off memory, which, let's face it, is about as reliable as my ex's promises. But basically, it's your basecamp for escaping Mumbai’s chaos and breathing some fresh air. Expect basic amenities – a bed (hopefully clean!), a bathroom (fingers crossed!), and a restaurant that serves… well, Gujarati food. More on that later… because, oh boy, the food deserves its own chapter.
Is Matheran itself worth the trip? I heard… things.
Matheran? Okay, here's the deal. It's… unique. Think of it as a giant, lush, green, slightly messy, and gloriously car-free playground. Which is either pure bliss or a total dealbreaker, depending on your personality. I, personally, *adore* it. The views? Stunning. The air? Crisp, you can practically feel your lungs thanking you with every breath. But… and it’s a big but… it’s not exactly the Ritz. There's a certain rustic charm. Let's call it that. If you're expecting pristine perfection, lower your expectations. Think more "charming imperfections." You'll probably encounter a horse or two. And a lot of walking. My knees nearly gave out. Totally worth it. Just bring comfy shoes, okay?
How do I *get* there? Sounds complicated. My brain is fried.
Oh, the journey! This is where it gets *interesting*. You can't drive your car up to Matheran, which is part of its magic and part of its potential for disaster if you're prone to motion sickness. You have a few options. First, you drive to a town called Neral. Then, you can take the Matheran Toy Train! It's slow. Very slow. Like, "watching-paint-dry-slow" slow. But charming. Or, you can take a shared taxi from Neral to the base of the hill and then… *shudder*… walk up the hill. Or, more likely, take a horse. Or be carried in one of those rickshaws that the locals carry on the road. Walking is not for the faint of heart or the easily winded. I took the train up, which was an experience in itself. The views are phenomenal at what speed you can grasp. On the way back?? Let's just say a shared taxi almost made me lose my lunch. BRING TRAVEL SICKNESS MEDICATION. Seriously. And be prepared for some jostling. It's all part of the adventure! Consider it a character-building exercise. Or a test of your sanity. It depends on your mood that day.
What are the rooms like at Gujarat Bhavan? Are they… clean? (Asking for a friend… aka, me.)
Okay, let's be honest, the rooms aren't exactly luxurious. I mean, you're not getting a four-poster bed and a marble bathroom. Think… functional. The rooms *are* generally clean, though. I mean, cleaner than my apartment after a particularly epic Netflix binge, let’s put it that way. They're basic – a bed, a table, maybe a chair. The "view" really depends on which room you get and how willing you are to squint. The bathrooms… well, they work. The water runs hot. That's usually a win in India, believe me. Don’t expect a five-star experience, and you won’t be disappointed. Manage your expectations! I’m a bit of a worrier, I brought my own sanitizing wipes. Call me paranoid, but I slept soundly.
Is Wi-Fi available? I need to Instagram my breathtaking views… and keep up with my notifications. Priorities, people!
Breathe. It's okay. You'll survive a *little* connectivity deprivation. Here's the deal: Wi-Fi is… let's say, *spotty*. Think dial-up speeds in the age of 5G. I managed to send a few messages and a blurry photo of a particularly magnificent sunset. Basically, embrace the digital detox. It's good for you. Seriously. (Says the girl who checked her phone every five minutes.) I did notice a bunch of kids playing outside, and no phones in sight. Wild, right?
Okay, the food. Dish the dirt. I'm starving, and I need to know if my tastebuds will survive.
Right. The *food*. Ah, the food. This is where things get… interesting. It's Gujarati food, so expect a lot of vegetarian options and a sweetness that might take some getting used to. The *dhokla*? Pretty decent. The *khichdi*? Comfort food at its finest. The *rotis*? Perfectly fluffy. But... and there's always a but, isn't there? I ordered the *thali* one night, it was a bit oily for my taste. The service can be slow. Like, "contemplate-the-meaning-of-life" slow. And the dining room… well, it’s functional. Don’t expect a Michelin-star experience. Do expect to try some new flavors. And to possibly sweat a little bit on a warm day. But honestly? I found it all charming in its own way. It's the kind of place where you can accidentally spill your *chaas* and no one will bat an eyelid. I did. Twice.
Did I see a review that said the food was… a little *too* authentic? I'm a spice wimp.
Okay, yes. Some dishes can be… let’s say… exuberant with spice. The curries definitely pack a punch. If you’re not a fan of chili, be sure to ask for things *mild*. The staff are generally very accommodating – they've seen it all, trust me. They're used to the spice wimps like me. Some dishes are inherently sweeter than others, so there's a good chance you'll find something you like. I survived thanks to the *dal* and some plain *rotis*. Don't be afraid to ask for recommendations or to experiment a bit. And hey, a little spice never killed anyone, right? (Okay, maybe it has, but not in this case.) Worst case scenario, you can always order a lassi and cool down. I did that… a lot.

