
Melbourne's Excelsior Hotel: Unforgettable Nightcap Awaits!
Melbourne's Excelsior Hotel: Unforgettable Nightcap Awaits! - A Review (With Rants & Raves!)
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because I'm about to spill the tea on Melbourne's Excelsior Hotel. And let me tell you, it's a mixed bag of delightful surprises and… well, let's just say "character." This isn't your slick, airbrushed hotel review; this is the real deal, folks. Prepare for some real talk, some soaring highs, and… okay, maybe a few minor gripes. But hey, that's life, right? And that's what makes a hotel experience memorable.
First Impressions & Getting There: Smooth(ish) Sailing (and a Tiny Complaint!)
Accessibility, eh? Well, the Excelsior tries. I mean, elevators are a godsend, so that's a win. They've got facilities listed, and seeing "Facilities for disabled guests" is a good start! The airport transfer was efficient, which is always a bonus after a long flight. Free parking? Yep, that's a massive tick in my books, especially in Melbourne where parking is a blood sport. The car park on-site is great, but I did notice the occasional tight squeeze when maneuvering, so bring your parking A-game!
COVID-19: Safety First (Mostly)!
Now, let's address the pandemic, because, let's face it, it's still a thing. The Excelsior scores pretty high here. They're clearly taking things seriously. Hand sanitizer everywhere, staff masked up (bless them!), and visible efforts to keep things clean. They claim "rooms sanitized between stays," and honestly, I felt it. Everything felt fresh, and I appreciated the "Room sanitization opt-out available" option – a nice touch for those who prefer a lighter touch. "Safe dining setup" is another plus; the attention to detail made me feel a lot more safe.. They even had "Daily disinfection in common areas," which is reassuring. "Cashless payment service" is super convenient (and almost expected these days). "Anti-viral cleaning products" give me the warm fuzzies. Kudos, Excelsior, kudos.
The Room: My Kingdom for a Blackout Curtain (and a Decent View!)
Okay, let's talk room specifics. I snagged a "Non-Smoking" room (thank goodness), and it was… adequate. Clean, thankfully. The air conditioning worked like a charm, especially after a long day of exploring. But… here's my first minor whinge: the blackout curtains? Not quite blackout. I'm talking a sliver of dawn peeking through that just drives you bananas at 6 AM. Seriously, Excelsior, invest in proper blackout curtains! I had to rig up a makeshift curtain with a towel. Still, they provided an "Alarm clock", a "Bathrobe", "Complimentary tea" (essential!), a "Coffee/tea maker" (also essential!), and a "Hair dryer." Bless them. And the "Wi-Fi [free]" was, thankfully, reliable, which is crucial when you're uploading Instagram stories of your amazing Melbourne adventures. I even appreciated the "Daily housekeeping." You know, because, lets face it, I'm not a neat freak by nature.
Things to Do & Ways to Relax: A Mixed Bag of Bliss & Bewilderment
Alright, this is where things get interesting. The "Fitness center"? Yep, it's there. Standard hotel gym fare. I’m not a gym person, but it looked well equipped (if that's your thing). And the "Sauna," "Steamroom," and "Spa"? Yes, yes, and maybe… I never quite found them. I felt like I was wandering a labyrinth and eventually just gave up, which made me really sad. Some signs would have been amazing. So that's a big thumbs down for the spa and associated relaxation areas. I need help.
Dining, Drinking & Snacking: The Nightcap Revelation!
Ooh, now we're talking! The Excelsior’s "Bar" is fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. Cozy, mood-lit, and a fantastic cocktail menu. It's the perfect place to unwind after a day of sightseeing. Ah, the "Happy hour"… Pure bliss. And the staff? Attentive, friendly, and genuinely helpful. I'm not talking about the forced smiles, I’m talking genuine hospitality.
But the absolute star of the show? The "Nightcap," as the hotel advertises! I grabbed a seat at the bar, ordered a perfectly crafted Old Fashioned, and just melted into the atmosphere. The bartender was an artist, and the ambiance was just right. This is the kind of experience that makes a hotel memorable, the kind of experience you tell your friends about. If you're just looking for a quick overnight, you should consider staying just for the nightcap experience.
Regarding other dining options, the "Restaurants" sounded promising. The "Breakfast [buffet]" was decent, with a good selection of "Western breakfast", and "Asian breakfast" dishes. But, I'd happily skip the buffet and head straight for the bar for another Nightcap!
Services & Conveniences: Solid, But Could Be Better
They offer "Laundry service" - always useful. "Concierge"? They were helpful in pointing me toward a fantastic local restaurant (even if I didn't get those missing spa directions!). "Daily housekeeping" was a godsend. "Luggage storage" was efficient. But the "Dry cleaning"? They're out-sourcing that one, so just factor in extra time. "Business facilities"? Seemed perfectly adequate, but I wasn't there to work.
For the Kids: Not Quite Sure…
I don’t have kids, so this area is kinda lost on me. They mentioned "Family/child friendly" which is good. "Babysitting service" is available. But everything else is pretty light on the details.
Accessibility Recap and Overall Impression
The Good: The accessibility is there, but needs work. The Nightcap experience is genuinely exceptional. The staff are friendly. The cleaning standards are high. Free parking is a win. The location is pretty good for exploring Melbourne.
The Not-So-Good: The blackout curtains. The lack of signage for the spa.
Overall: The Excelsior is a solid choice. It's not perfect, but it has genuine charm. The nightcap experience alone is worth the price of admission. I would say, absolutely go!
My Offer (Persuading You to Book!)
Craving a Nightcap and a Melbourne Adventure? The Excelsior Awaits!
Tired of bland hotel experiences? Yearning for a delicious crafted cocktail in a cozy bar? Then it's time to book your Melbourne escape at The Excelsior Hotel!
Here's what you get:
- Unforgettable Nightcap: The very best bar in Melbourne (I'm still raving!)
- Super-Clean & Safe: Your safety is their priority.
- Prime Location: Everything Melbourne has to offer (well, almost!) is at your fingertips.
Don't Delay!
Visit the Excelsior Hotel website and BOOK NOW! Use code "NIGHTCAPMAGIC" and receive a complimentary signature cocktail at the bar upon arrival!
Unbelievable Luxury Awaits: Chengdu Haotian Guotai Hotel - Your Dream Chengdu Getaway!

Nightcap at the Excelsior: A Melbourne Meltdown (of the Best Kind) - My Utterly Unfiltered Itinerary
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because we’re about to dive headfirst into a Melbourne adventure. Forget perfect grids and colour-coded spreadsheets. This is my attempt to navigate the city, fueled by copious amounts of caffeine and the faint hope that I won't embarrass myself too badly. We're talking Nightcap at the Excelsior, and by the grace of the travel gods, I get to be the guinea pig for a couple of days. Pray for me…
Day 1: Arrival, Awkward Encounters, and the Quest for Coffee
10:00 AM: Arrival at Melbourne Airport (MEL). The usual airport pandemonium. Already feeling the jetlag, which is basically a full-body snooze alarm set to "existential dread." Finding the Skybus was surprisingly painless – a small victory in a world of tiny, petty frustrations.
11:00 AM: Skybus to Southern Cross Station. The bus driver was a gruff Aussie bloke. "Alright cobbers, settle in," he yelled, which filled me with a strange sense of belonging. Briefly considered adopting the "cobber" lingo. Probably better not.
11:30 AM: Check-in at Nightcap at Excelsior Hotel: Okay, first impressions? The lobby is… well, it's got a certain "classic charm." Think slightly worn elegance with a hint of "lived in." The receptionist, bless her heart, probably deals with my kind every day. I'm already fumbling for my wallet, forgetting the pin number and inwardly panicking. Finally, I'm in the room. Decent size, clean, and YES, there's a kettle. This is crucial.
12:00 PM: The Coffee Crisis: Jet lag and that pre-lunch slump are hitting hard. Google Maps to the rescue! Find a cafe called "Higher Ground" nearby, which promises "deliciousness." OMG, the line. The sheer volume of people. Melbourne’s coffee obsession is real, people! Finally, my latte – a creamy, life-giving elixir. Worth the wait and the potential for a caffeine-induced heart attack. The avocado toast… well, let's just say it lived up to the hype. Pure avocado bliss.
1:30 PM: Wandering the City (Lost): Armed with a full caffeine tank, I decide to explore. My "exploration" mostly involves getting delightfully lost. Found myself accidentally wandering through a laneway filled with jaw-dropping street art. Stopped dead in my tracks. Melbourne, you beautiful, messy, chaotic art-filled genius. This city has an amazing way of revealing itself a little bit at a time.
3:00 PM: Flinders Street Station: It's iconic, it's gorgeous, and it's where I almost got run over by a tram. Note to self: look both ways, even when you think you're safe. Melbourne is a city of fast-moving things.
4:00 PM: Eureka Skydeck 88 (Impression): The view. HOLY MOLY. Words can't describe it. A dizzying panorama of the city sprawling beneath me, with the Yarra River snaking through it. Took a deep breath and tried not to hyperventilate. The "Edge" experience (the glass cube that extends out) nearly gave me a heart attack. It's terrifying, but the kind of terrifying that makes you feel alive.
6:00 PM: Dinner at Chin Chin (If I Can Even Get In): Chin Chin is legendary, so the anticipation is KILLING me. Report back later if I managed to wrangle a table. Otherwise, ramen it is. (Update: No dice. The queue was longer than my arm, and that arm has been known to reach. Ramen it is!)
7:30 PM: Stumble back to the Hotel: After a surprisingly delicious bowl of ramen at a little place, I'm back at the hotel. The bed beckons. The lure of Netflix is strong.
8:30 PM - 10:00 PM: The Beer Quest: I stumble to the Excelsior's bar, because, well, nightcap. I'm the only one there initially and start chatting with Dave, the bartender, who's got the same exhausted vibe as me. He recommends a local craft beer. It's actually pretty good, and we talk about how the universe unfolds. It was a really nice place to find myself on a Friday night.
10:00 PM: Crash Course: Sleep. Glorious, blessed sleep. Tomorrow is a new day, and I'm gonna need it.
Day 2: Culture Shock, Culinary Adventures, and a Minor Meltdown
9:00 AM: Coffee (Again!) This time, a smaller, more manageable cafe near the hotel. The barista remembers my order (apparently, I'm memorable, or at least predictable). The coffee, a flat white, is pure perfection. Melbourne's coffee game is on point.
10:00 AM: National Gallery of Victoria (NGV): Okay, time to be cultured. The NGV is huge. Like, mind-bogglingly huge. Spent hours wandering through galleries, staring open-mouthed at masterpieces and modern marvels. Had a genuine emotional reaction to a painting I won't name because it's probably too private. Art does that, sometimes.
12:00 PM: Lunch at Queen Victoria Market: OMG. The smells, the chaos, the sheer abundance of food. Opted for a paella that was… surprisingly good, for a market stall. Felt like a proper local. Also, bought some weird fruit I couldn't identify. Risk-taking is key.
1:30 PM: Shopping Disaster: Thought I’d get some "souvenirs." Ended up lost in a shop filled with things I didn't need but really wanted. My bank account is weeping.
3:00 PM: Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) Tour: I'm not really a cricket person. I get it. It's a big stadium. BUT, I learned the history, asked some surprisingly informed questions, and actually started to appreciate it. Turns out, there's more to cricket than just standing around (apparently).
5:00 PM: The "Meltdown" (Slightly Exaggerated): Okay, jet lag is back. The sensory overload of the past two days has caught up with me. I'm tired, hangry, and starting to question all my life choices. Briefly considered hiding under the bed. Instead, I bought some chocolate. Chocolate solved everything.
6:30 PM: Dinner: Found a small, hidden Italian restaurant and ate a plate of pasta that almost brought a tear to my eye. Simple food, done well. Comfort in a bowl. (It was called "Pasta Paradise," and yes, it lived up to its name.)
8:00 PM: Nightcap - Another Beer and Dave's Wisdom: Back to the Excelsior bar. Dave is busy but gives me a knowing look as I park at the bar. Same beer to rinse away all the emotions. It's a good life. He tells me the best time to see the sunset.
9:00 PM: Bonus Point - The Sunset and the City: Dave was right. Melbourne's sunset from the excersior bar is incredible. Golden glow, city lights, the perfect end to a perfect day. The exhaustion had melted away.
10:00 PM: Sleep. Dream of paella, cricket, and the infinite possibilities of the city.
Day 3: Farewell, For Now, Melbourne!
9:00 AM: Last Coffee, Last Sunrise: A final flat white, a final sunrise. It's beautiful and I'm torn between wanting to stay and wanting to go home.
10:00 AM: Check Out: Check out was easy! I wish the Excelsior all the best!
10:30 AM: Skybus to Airport: Ready to face the world again, and my own tiny apartment that's now calling my name.
Ramblings and Reflections:
Melbourne, you glorious mess. You are the city of laneways, coffee, art, and unexpected adventures. You're a city that embraces chaos, values creativity, and constantly surprises you. I can't wait to return.
Ao Nang Paradise: Stunning Pool & Beachfront 1BR!
Excelsior Hotel Nightcap: Forgettable or Unforgettable? (Let's Be Honest...)
Alright, let's get real. You're probably here because you heard whispers of the Excelsior's nightcap game. Good, bad, or ugly, I've got opinions. Consider this a heads-up... things might get a little... rambly.
Okay, so the Excelsior. Not exactly the Ritz, you know? More like... a slightly-worn leather armchair of a pub. Cozy, maybe a little dusty, definitely seen some things. And the nightcap? Well, it's the grand finale. The last hurrah. The liquid lullaby before you stumble back to your room (or, let's be honest, sometimes the taxi). That's the premise anyway! I mean, I’ve had some *experiences* there… let’s just say.
Right. Okay. Good is a strong word. REALLY depends on your definition of good. I went there with this friend, Sarah, once. She’s *very* particular. Demands perfection in her martinis. And, well, let’s just say the Excelsior's martini game… wasn't exactly hitting the mark. I'm not naming names on bartender, but the olives were… an adventure. But me? I thought it was bloody brilliant! There was something utterly charming about the slightly rough edges. The bartender actually poured me a second one for free! Said I looked like I needed it. He wasn't wrong.
The usual suspects, really. Old Fashioneds. Negronis. And a surprising amount of fancy whiskeys. They actually have a pretty decent wine list, too. But honestly? Sometimes all I want is a cold pint of something… comforting? And they've got that. And that can be perfectly alright! I actually had this one night, with this other group of friends.. we were celebrating a promotion. I’d had a really rough week, and I swear, that pint of lager, in that slightly smoky atmosphere... it was pure bliss. Simple, stupid bliss.
Okay, let me be brutally honest. The Excelsior can get CRAMPED. Especially on a weekend. You might be rubbing elbows with your neighbour, and, let's be honest, sometimes you're in a mood for social closeness, but sometimes you aren't. The music? Well, it's a pub, so you take your chances. There's been times I’ve been there and the tunes have been pure gold. Other times? Well, let's just say I've had to have some truly *deep* conversations to drown out the soundtrack. And the hangovers? Oh, the hangovers. Let’s be honest: drink responsibly. *cough* Yeah, yeah, I should probably listen to my own advice.
It's hard to explain. It's Melbourne, so expect... EVERYTHING. You've got the after-work crowd, the thespians, the lost tourists… you always bump into someone you sort of know. One time, I swear I saw a film director arguing with a baker about the perfect sourdough. Only in Melbourne! I think, more than anything, it's a place for people to just… be. To unwind. To vent. To have a laugh. To commiserate about the state of the world. Or, you know, just drink. And that can be a good thing. It's real, not contrived. It's refreshingly imperfect, in a world that often tries too hard.
I'm not a mixologist, okay? I'm just a girl who likes a drink! If you're feeling experimental, chat with the bartender – they usually have a favourite. But if you're feeling fragile? Order something familiar. Don't overthink it. One time I literally *cried* into a pint of Guinness at the Excelsior. I was completely exhausted. The bartender didn't say a word, just refilled my glass. That simple act of compassion? Yeah, that's what the Excelsior is all about sometimes. Start there, you can think about fancy cocktails later. Just... go. Just drink. And breathe. That's my recommendation.
Look, I'm not going to lie. Some nights at the Excelsior are just… meh. But some nights? Some nights are magic. It's that kind of place. You might meet the love of your life. You might end up spilling your drink on a stranger. You might have a conversation that changes your perspective. Or you might just… have a beer and go home. And that's okay too. I've had both. I've literally *cried* into a beer at the Excelsior. I've seen crazy things there, heard ridiculous things. It's a Melbourne institution. And whether it's truly unforgettable? That's up to you, and probably the strength of the nightcap. And your capacity for chaos. So, go.Urban Hotel Search

