Crete's Hidden Gem: 1BR Oasis in Old Town (Sleeps 4)!

Matina Room At The Heart Of Old Town 1bd, Sleeps 4 Crete Island Greece

Matina Room At The Heart Of Old Town 1bd, Sleeps 4 Crete Island Greece

Crete's Hidden Gem: 1BR Oasis in Old Town (Sleeps 4)!

Crete's Hidden Gem: 1BR Oasis in Old Town (Sleeps 4) - A Review (warts and all!)

Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because I just got back from Crete, and I'm here to spill ALL the tea about this "Hidden Gem" – the 1BR Oasis in Old Town. Was it a paradise? A disaster? A lukewarm puddle of average? Let's find out, shall we? And listen, I'm not gonna sugarcoat it. This is real life, baby, not a travel brochure.

First Impressions & Location, Location, LOCATION! (And That Pesky Accessibility Thing)

Right off the bat, the location is chef's kiss. Seriously, Old Town in Crete is pure magic. Cobblestone streets, bougainvillea spilling from balconies, the smell of freshly baked bread… it’s postcard perfect. And this apartment is smack-dab in the middle of it. You're steps away from tavernas, shops, and the Venetian harbor. AMAZING.

BUT (and there's always a but, isn't there?), accessibility is… well, let's just say it's a Greek experience. You know, things are charming AND a little chaotic. The listing mentions facilities for disabled guests, but honestly, navigating those ancient, uneven streets in a wheelchair would be a mission. The apartment itself has an elevator which is a godsend (and a real win!), but getting to the apartment, crossing streets to get to the beach… it's not ideal. Accessibility score: 3/5 stars. They try, bless their hearts.

The Apartment Itself: Cozy Chaos and Wi-Fi Woes

The "1BR Oasis" sleeps four, which is… generous. It’s more like a cozy hideaway than a sprawling mansion. The place is definitely charming. The decorations are… eclectic. Think a mix of vintage travel posters, a strategically placed mirror, and a few "artistic" touches. But hey, it's clean!

The Wi-Fi? Oh boy. Free Wi-Fi EVERYWHERE! The website says it’s in every room, and in public areas! It's a blatant lie. I mean, eventually, it connects which is miraculous. The internet in general is fine but it wasn't the blazing speed I'm used to. Wi-Fi Score: 2/5 stars.

Cleanliness & Safety – They Were Doing Their Best

I'm a bit of a germaphobe (don't judge!), so the cleanliness was key. The apartment was spotless. They tout "Anti-viral cleaning products," and "Room sanitization between stays." Daily disinfection in common areas… it sounds good, and felt reassuring. They even have hand sanitizer AND a first aid kit, which is smart. Cleanliness Score: 4.5/5 stars. They take safety seriously.

Dining, Drinking & Snacking: Fueling the Adventure (and Maybe a Little Bellyache)

Okay, the dining situation is worth a mention. You can order "Breakfast in room" – more on that later. There's a coffee maker. The kitchen is tiny, but efficient. They also offer a "Breakfast takeaway service". I definitely availed myself of the convenience store downstairs for snacks (essential!). There are SO MANY restaurants nearby. Dining Score: 3/5 stars.

I had one amazing meal at a restaurant downstairs – the ambiance was incredible. It was the first night and I was feeling all the feels of being in Crete and it was amazing! The next day, I went back for lunch -- that was about it. I did try their soup, and ended up with a minor digestion issue… I'll leave it there.

Fun & Relaxation – The Good, the Bad and the Non-Existent

Okay, about the "Spa" and "Fitness Center." LOL. Let's be very clear: this is NOT a resort. There’s no gym. No spa. No pool with a view. There is a really nice outdoor pool just a short walk away (not included in the booking, though), and the beach is very close. You also can find "massage" nearby but they're an external service. So don't go expecting a luxury spa experience. Relaxation/Amenities Score: 2/5 stars for the apartment, 4/5 for the location and the overall experience.

The "Things to Do" – You’ve Got This!

Honestly, the beauty of being in Old Town is that everything is at your doorstep. Exploring the harbor, wandering the shops, finding a perfect taverna… that stuff is all right there. They've got "concierge" but really, you're on your own to find the best place to eat. The area is perfect for a couple's trip, family-friendly, or even a solo adventurer.

Room Features - The Inside Scoop

  • The Good: Air conditioning (a godsend in summer!), a comfy bed, a decent shower. The "Extra long bed" was helpful since I'm tall.
  • The Bad: You might need to bring your own toiletries. The "complimentary tea" was the most basic.

Services & Conveniences – Navigating the Greek Shuffle

They’ve got "daily housekeeping" which is great. There is an elevator which is fantastic. They provide a "safe deposit box." Everything is helpful.

For the Kids (if That's Your Thing)

While the listing says "Family/child-friendly," there aren't any specific kids' facilities at the apartment itself. The location is great for kids, so if you're traveling with little ones, consider the convenience of the area. They do mention a "babysitting service" so consider planning ahead.

The Verdict (and a Compelling Offer!)

So, is this "Hidden Gem" actually worth it? ABSOLUTELY. Especially if you're not expecting a full-blown resort experience and you appreciate location over luxury.

Here's the REAL deal: This apartment is a fantastic base for exploring the magic of Old Town Crete. The cleanliness is top-notch, the location is perfect, and the price is reasonable. It's got character, charm, and a sprinkle of genuine Greek life.

BUT, and this is a big BUT: If you need high-speed internet, a super-accessible experience, or a spa on-site, look elsewhere. But if you're looking for an authentic, charming, convenient, and wonderfully imperfect Cretan adventure, this is it.

My Honest Rating: 3.5/5 Stars (because of the Wi-Fi and occasional dining hiccup)

Now, a Compelling Offer:

Book Crete's Hidden Gem: 1BR Oasis in Old Town (Sleeps 4) now and receive:

  • A FREE welcome bottle of local Raki! (Because you deserve it!)
  • A curated list of the absolute best local tavernas (Forget the tourist traps – I'll hook you up!)
  • A secret map of the best beaches nearby (Sun, sand, and serenity await!)
  • Early check-in (if available), to dive straight into the charm of Old Town.
  • PLUS: 24/7 access via email to get insider tips and off-the-beaten-path recommendations.

Don't wait! This gem is popular. Book today and experience the REAL Crete!

Indonesian Orchid Paradise: Discover the Stunning Vanda Family in Blitar!

Book Now

Matina Room At The Heart Of Old Town 1bd, Sleeps 4 Crete Island Greece

Matina Room At The Heart Of Old Town 1bd, Sleeps 4 Crete Island Greece

Alright, buckle up buttercups, 'cause we're about to dive headfirst into the glorious, chaotic mess that is… my Crete itinerary! And by "itinerary," I mean a loose collection of hopes, prayers, and probably a few accidental wrong turns fueled by too much raki. Prepare yourself. This is gonna be less "precision Swiss watch" and more "that time I tried to assemble IKEA furniture after a full day of sunshine."

Home Base: Matina Room, Nestled (hopefully) in the Heart of Old Town, Crete, Greece. 1 Bedroom, Sleeps 4 (Lord help us). (Side note: "Sleeps 4" in a place like that probably means "you can fit 4 people, technically, if you're willing to become very, very close friends and possibly share a single oxygen molecule.")

Day 1: Arrival, Orientation to Chaos, and the Quest for Gyros

  • Morning (ish): Fly into Heraklion Airport (HER). Pray to the travel gods that the luggage makes it. Seriously. Pack essentials in your carry-on. I still have PTSD from the time my toothpaste exploded in my luggage.
    • Anecdote: Remember that feeling of pure, unadulterated joy when you finally step off the plane and smell the air of a new country? That, my friends, is a fleeting moment. Before you know it, you're wrestling with a rogue suitcase wheel and fumbling with Euros. Such is life.
  • Afternoon: Taxi to Matina Room. Hopefully, it's actually in the "heart" and not, like, the slightly-less-desirable "lung" of the Old Town. (Cross fingers for a balcony. Sunsets over the Venetian harbor? Yes, please!) Check-in. Greet Matina herself, if she's there. (I'm already picturing a charming old woman with a twinkle in her eye and a hidden stash of baklava.)
    • Quirky Observation: The first few hours in a new place are always a blur of sensory overload. The smells! The sounds! The sheer number of cats casually judging your life choices! It's magnificent.
  • Early Evening: Gyro Hunt. Okay, this is non-negotiable. The mission: Find the best gyro in Heraklion. This requires research (a quick Google search), strategic wandering (a bit of aimless ambling), and sheer gut instinct. I will accept no substitutes.
    • Emotional Reaction: If the gyro is disappointing, expect a full-blown existential crisis. If it's amazing… well, let's just say there will be tears of joy and a serious discussion about relocating permanently.
  • Evening: Wander the Old Town. Get lost. Embrace the chaos. Grab a drink, hopefully overlooking the harbor. Soak it all in.
    • Imperfection: Probably forget to take a picture of something super important. Like, the best gyro I've ever eaten. Oops.

Day 2: Knossos, History, and the Accidental Donkey Cart Ride (Maybe)

  • Morning: Visit the Knossos Palace. Prepare to be both amazed and slightly overwhelmed by the sheer volume of history. (Wear comfortable shoes. Trust me.)
    • Rambling: Gods, the Minoans. Who were they? What did they actually do? The stories! The labyrinth! The bull-leaping! I’m absolutely obsessed. I've read so much, yet still can't hold all the dates and king names in my head.
  • Lunch: Find a taverna near Knossos, maybe order the Dakos (a Cretan salad). Bonus points if it's a family-run place. Soak up the sunshine.
  • Afternoon (potentially): Attempt to find a donkey cart ride in a charming, slightly-touristy village. (Or, you know, maybe just take the bus. Depends on the level of adventurousness, and honestly, how much the taverna lunch really filled me.)
    • Opinionated Language: I'm dying to go on a donkey cart. It's pure cheesy touristy gold. If I hear someone complaining about it being "too cliché," I'm going to roll my eyes so hard I might detach from my eyeballs. Embrace the cheese!
  • Evening: Back in Heraklion. Explore more of the Old Town. Maybe try a different restaurant this time. People watching is essential.
    • Messy Structure: Could swap this around. Maybe do the Knossos Palace in the afternoon, depending on the heat, depending on if I actually get out of bed, depending on… well, you get the idea.

Day 3: Beach Day (Fingers Crossed for Sun!) and Sunset Bliss

  • Morning: Journey to a Cretan Beach (Agia Pelagia seems appealing). Sunscreen, check. Towel, check. Hat, check. Enough water to survive a zombie apocalypse, check.
    • Stronger Emotional Reaction: The beach. Oh the beach. The promise of the beach. The sand, the sea. The opportunity to do absolutely nothing for hours on end. Pure bliss. As a self-confessed control freak, I'm actually excited to just melt into the sand.
  • Afternoon : Actual beach time. Swim, sunbathe, read a book, nap. Repeat.
    • Doubling Down on an Experience: Let’s be real – I'm going to spend a solid four hours just staring at the waves. Thinking about absolutely nothing. Letting the sea air fill my brain. This is essential.
  • Evening: Find a spot to watch the sunset. Preferably with a cocktail. Maybe a Greek wine, or a simple ouzo. Reflect on the day, the sights, the smells, the food, the life.
    • Natural Pacing: The end of the day is always the hardest. So, the sunset and evening are totally free-form. I'm not going to rush this.

Day 4: Day Trip or Just Winging It? & More Food!

  • Morning: Option 1: Day trip to a different part of Crete (Chania maybe?). Option 2: Sleep in! Option 3: Explore Heraklion again, see what we missed.
    • Imperfection: Probably wake up late and miss my chance to do a day trip… and let laziness win.
  • Lunch: More Greek food. Because, duh. Must. Have. Food.
    • Stream-of-consciousness: Okay, right now, I'm thinking of spanakopita. And fried zucchini flowers. The problem with these things is that I haven’t actually eaten them yet. Should I be getting my hopes up? Should I be researching? Is there such thing as a "bad spanakopita?" (Please, no.)
  • Afternoon and Evening: Shopping for souvenirs, visit a museum (archaeological museum I hope), try a cooking class, or just relaxing and enjoying the last hours of the trip.
    • Honest and Funny: By this point, my brain will be 100% fried. And I'll probably have a slight food baby. But hey, I'm on vacation!

Day 5: Departure

  • Morning: Last breakfast (try to grab some fresh orange juice). Pack. Sigh. Say goodbye to the glorious mess that is Crete.
    • Emotional Reaction: The thought of leaving already makes me want to cry. Farewell, Crete! You beautiful, chaotic paradise. Thanks for the gyros, the history, the sunsets, and the (inevitable) moments of joyful, glorious chaos.
  • Afternoon: Head to Heraklion Airport (HER). Hope the luggage makes it home.
  • Evening: Back home. Start planning the next trip.

And that, my friends, is (a rough draft of) my Crete adventure. Wish me luck. And may the travel gods have mercy on my soul (and my digestive system). Καλή διασκέδαση! (Have fun!)

Montpellier's Royal Hotel: Luxury Redefined (France's Hidden Gem!)

Book Now

Matina Room At The Heart Of Old Town 1bd, Sleeps 4 Crete Island Greece

Matina Room At The Heart Of Old Town 1bd, Sleeps 4 Crete Island Greece

Crete's Hidden Gem: 1BR Oasis in Old Town (Sleeps 4!) - FAQ (and a Few Rants)

Okay, so "Hidden Gem"... is it REALLY hidden? Like, do I need a Sherpa and a map made of goat skin?

Haha! Not quite. "Hidden" is more like "tucked away from the CRAZY crowds... but still ridiculously close to everything." Think of it as a secret whisper in a bustling marketplace. You *can* find it, promise. But you *won't* be tripping over selfie sticks the second you step outside. We actually *loved* that. My first time there, I got *slightly* lost – emphasis on *slightly*. Mostly because I was mesmerized by a ridiculously adorable stray kitten, and then totally forgot which tiny, winding alleyway I just came from. Pro tip: Download offline maps. Trust me, you’ll thank me. Greek internet... is an experience. (And sometimes a frustrating one.)

Sleeps 4? Is this a sardine can situation? I need space!

Alright, let's be clear: it's not a sprawling castle. It's a charming old house. The bedroom has a comfy double bed, and then there's a pull-out sofa in the living room. We went with two adults and two kids, and... honestly? It was cozy, yes. But not claustrophobic. The high ceilings and the fact it’s *actually* an old stone building (not some poorly built tourist trap) really helps. You're in Crete, people! You should be *out* exploring, not spending all your time in the apartment. Besides, who wants to be stuck inside when there's feta cheese and sunshine calling your name? My kids, on the other hand, would have happily spent the entire trip in the apartment playing video games if I'd let them. Good thing I’m the parent!

What's the vibe like? Is it all shiny and new? Or is it... authentically charming?

Authentically Charming. Think exposed stone walls, maybe a wonky floorboard or two (adds character, obviously!), and a balcony that’s perfect for sipping your morning coffee (or, you know, that late-night raki the locals so generously share). It isn't a sterile hotel room. It has soul. It *feels* like a lived-in space, a place where you can actually relax and unwind. There were a few quirks, mind you! The shower pressure was... a bit anemic. Like a gentle rain shower instead of a power wash. But honestly? After a day of dodging scooters and eating gyros, it was kinda perfect. It was also really close to a bakery, which I became *slightly* obsessed with. That smell... oh, that smell! I'd have happily slept in the bakery if they let me.

Is it noisy at night? I’m a light sleeper. (And my kids are ridiculously sensitive to noises.)

Okay, this is Crete. It's not exactly a silent spa retreat. You *will* hear the occasional scooter zooming past. You *will* hear the happy chatter of people enjoying themselves (or, occasionally, arguing in rapid-fire Greek). BUT! because it is set back from the main square, it’s not excessively loud. The stone walls actually do a surprisingly good job of muffling the sounds. I brought earplugs, just in case, but honestly? I rarely used them. The city noise blended into the background, and helped me appreciate the atmosphere instead of feeling irritated by it. The kids, surprisingly, slept through the whole thing. That was a victory.

What about the kitchen? Can I actually cook something besides instant noodles?

Yes, thank *god*. The kitchen is small, but functional. It had everything we needed to whip up a quick breakfast or a light lunch. There was a stovetop, a fridge, a microwave... The *important* basics. Don’t expect to prepare a five-course meal, obviously. But you can absolutely make a Greek salad, which, let's be honest, is basically all you need. I tried to make pancakes one morning. Disaster. Utter, sticky, pancake-y chaos. Stick to the local bakeries, trust me. They know what they're doing. (And honestly, for the price of the pastries, why bother with the effort?)

Is there Air Conditioning? And is it any good? This is Cretan summer, after all...

Yes, and thank the gods of heat and humidity! Air conditioning is a lifesaver in Cretan summer. It does the job, and it does it well!. I can't imagine spending my holiday in Crete without air conditioning. I'm also pretty sure my husband would have spontaneously combusted if we hadn't had it.

Seriously, tell me something bad. There *has* to be a catch.

Okay, okay, fine. The Wi-Fi *was* a little spotty. It worked, but it wasn’t exactly lightning-fast. I couldn’t stream movies without it buffering every few seconds. This was a *huge* letdown for my kids. One afternoon, it completely died. I had to *talk* to them. Gasp! Actually, it was kind of nice. We ended up playing cards and actually enjoying each other's company. So... maybe the "bad" thing wasn't so bad after all. And the tiny shower (mentioned before) - I could barely turn around in it. Again, a minor price to pay for the overall charm. Also, parking... a nightmare if you have a car. Prepare for a lot of walking.

Let’s talk location, location, location. How close are we to… everything?

Perfect. I'm serious. The location is absolutely bang-on. Literally steps to everything (once you know how to navigate the alleyways. See note about offline maps above). The Venetian harbor? Five minute walk. The restaurants? Everywhere. Beaches? A short bus ride away. I mean, you can get *anywhere* you want easily. It's a gold star location. I spent an entire afternoon wandering around the harbor, completely lost to the beauty. The sunsets alone ... worth the price of admission!

Would you go back? Seriously?

In a heartbeat. Absolutely. The imperfections, the slightly wonky Wi-Fi, the tiny shower, the occasional scooter whizzing past... it all added to the experience. It wasnQuick Hotel Finder

Matina Room At The Heart Of Old Town 1bd, Sleeps 4 Crete Island Greece

Matina Room At The Heart Of Old Town 1bd, Sleeps 4 Crete Island Greece

Matina Room At The Heart Of Old Town 1bd, Sleeps 4 Crete Island Greece

Matina Room At The Heart Of Old Town 1bd, Sleeps 4 Crete Island Greece

top places to stay